Lately Topps hasn’t been receiving the best feedback from collectors when it comes to their redemption cards. Many are left out in the cold for months (sometimes years) wondering when they’ll get that card they’re due. Unfortunately for some collectors the wait ends up in a total disaster. They’ll get that bubble mailer in the mail, rip it open, only to find a replacement card not worth nearly as much as the card they were originally promised. I don’t know what to say, other than they need a better system with improved communication. An official Topps blog would be nice.
I rarely redeem redemption cards, let alone buy one. But I certainly didn’t have a choice when someone posted the Harry Kalas 2013 Topps Series 1 Chasing History Cut Signature redemption for sale back in May. Normally this is something I would never do, but I thought I’d take a chance on it. My thinking was this. Harry Kalas passed away back in 2009, and Topps didn’t have to chase him down for an autograph like they have to with many living players they issue redemptions for. It was good enough logic for me to pull the trigger on the card. After seeing that the Babe Ruth cut signature from 2013 Topps Series 1 was shipped, I was hoping the status on my card might change, and that’s exactly what happened a few days ago.
Here it is. The Harry Kalas 2013 Topps Series 1 One-Of-One Chasing History Cut Signature. He doesn’t have many cards, and this is one of the rarest for the former Phillies broadcaster/announcer. Kalas rarely has cards appear in products, and that makes it even a bigger deal for me when I hear he is going to be included within something. I have all of my Harry Kalas cards uploaded to Sports Card Album. One of these days I’d like to get much more uploaded, as I have boxes full of relics and autographs I wouldn’t mind trying to sell. Plus some other stuff I’d just like to show off. At least this redemption card story has a happy ending.
I’m still looking for the following HK cards:
- Harry Kalas 1984 Tastykake Phillies Broadcasters #7
- Harry Kalas/Gary Maddox/Richie Ashburn 1988 Phillies Tastykake Phillies Announcers #39
- Harry Kalas/Chris Wheeler/Andy Musser 1990 Phillies Tastykake Phillies Announcers #35
- 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game Mike Schmidt/Harry Kalas Announcing Greats Dual Auto #’ed/25
- Harry Kalas 2004 UD Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Auto Black #’ed/100
- Harry Kalas 2005 UD Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Auto Black Stitch #’ed/1
- Harry Kalas 2005 UD Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Auto Red-Blue Stitch #’ed/40
- Harry Kalas Sportkings Premium Back Redemption Sketches #’ed/1
- Harry Kalas Sportkings Series E Top 50 Broadcasters Cut Signature #’ed/1