When Topps debuted the Finest brand in 1993, there was only one level of refractor you could pull. Today those refractors are still in high demand. They were groundbreaking and innovative. Depending on the player, you can end up spending a lot for a single refractor from 1993.
The 2015 incarnation of Finest Baseball seems to be an entertaining one. It’s base set sits at (100) cards. For the first time in it’s 20+ year history, Finest features (11) short printed cards. These are card numbers 101-111. As of right now, the most popular SP card you could pull is of Kris Bryant. Those are almost reaching $100.00 on their own, and they aren’t even serial numbered. In a hobby driven by serial numbers, autographs, and relics, its refreshing to see a card like that get so much attention. Everything of Bryant’s is on fire!
Every master box contains (2) mini boxes. Inside each mini box you should find at least (1) autograph. Its not a quick thrill, but also not something that will leave you with tons of base either. Don’t let the simple configuration fool you. This product has some meat on it’s bones. In one form or another, everything within this product has a parallel to chase.
For awhile now, Finest has been known to be very rookie orientated. The 2015 set does have it’s share of rookies, but you’ll also find plenty of current stars and retired players as well. Probably more than ever. I wouldn’t mind seeing even older players included. Old black and white photographs would look cool on this card stock. Finest Autographs, Finest Greats Autographs, and Finest Affiliations Autographs round out the autographed cards. The famous Rookie Redemption program returns for another year too. Inserts include Finest Generations, Finest Career Die-Cuts, Finest Firsts, and a throwback to the 1995 Topps Finest set. I noticed that the 1995 Topps Finest throwback cards use the number 94 in their card numbers. I bet that was suppose to be a 95.
Boxes cost around $105.00. Here is what I pulled:
- Clayton Kershaw Finest Autograph Orange Refractor #’ed/25 Redemption
- Trevor May Finest Autograph RC Refractor
- Yu Darvish Refractor
- Andrelton Simmons Refractor
- Julio Teheran Refractor
- Brandon Finnegan RC Refractor
- Edwin Escobar RC Prism Refractor
- Andrelton Simmons Prism Refractor
- Elvis Andrus Blue Refractor #’ed/150
- Miguel Cabrera Purple Refractor #’ed/250
- Daniel Norris Finest Firsts #FF-8
- Willie Mays Finest Generations #FG-41
- Frank Thomas Finest Generations #FG-24
- Rickey Henderson Finest Generations #FG-10
- Greg Maddux Finest Generations #FG-35
- Max Scherzer 1995 Topps Finest #94F-19
- Adam Jones 1995 Topps Finest #94F-07
- Adrian Beltre 1995 Topps Finest #94F-18