Still no word yet on who will be producing the next generation of NASCAR cards. NASCAR has said on a handful of occasions that they are close to making a deal, but aren’t ready to announce who that company might be. Leaf has come out and stated that they withdrew from being in the running. So we all know that Leaf and NASCAR won’t be doing business together. At least not now. That leaves Topps, Upper Deck, and Panini. Panini is the obvious choice. D.J. Kazmierczak works for Panini now, but was once the top guy for Press Pass. Panini may also be the company with the most financial backing too. I’d like to see Topps or Upper Deck make a deal. I don’t think any of those entertainment card manufacturers have much of a chance either.
Long before Panini came into the picture, Donruss stood alone. Donruss got it’s start in 1954 making sugary treats, but then got into the trading card business. Most of their first sets were entertainment based. When 1965 rolled around they issued their very first sports themed set for Hot Rod Magazine. The set consists of 66 cards, and were distributed in gum packs. Various types of racing are covered throughout the entire set. You’ll find everything from IndyCar to drag racing. Probably the most interesting card is the one pictured above. This is card #49 and it features Bobby Unser during his Pikes Peak Climb championship.
Complete sets can sell for $50.00 to $100.00. Sealed packs seem to be in bigger demand. Packs do not say “Spec Sheet” on them. Instead they just say “Hot Rod”. I have no clue as to why they call this set “Spec Sheet”. “Hot Rod” is a lot cooler anyway.
This contest is for a Todd Hollandsworth 1997 Donruss Signature Series Auto. Good luck!!!
- This contest will end Friday, March 27, 2015 @ 8:00 p.m. EST.
- To enter, please leave a comment in this post.
- You can enter once per day.
- The winner will be selected at random.
- Please provide a valid e-mail address when entering.
- The winner will receive an e-mail when the contest is over.
- The winner has one week to send me their contact information or the contest will be held again.
- Once the contest is over, I will need the winner’s mailing address so I can ship them this card for FREE!!!