Opening Day 2017 is almost here. Hot dogs are heading to the grill. Bobbleheads are waiting at the gates. I’m prepared to watch the Phillies go all the way. I know its a long shot, but it could happen.
2017 Topps Opening Day acts as a good flagship filler that can hold you over until Series 2 is released. I’ve always considered it an entry level product since hobby boxes sell for under $30. The base set consists of (200) cards. Parallels include:
- Blue Foil
- Purple Foil (Toys “R” Us exclusive)
- Black Foil #’ed/1
- Printing Plates #’ed/1
As is the case with their main flagship brand, photo variations play a major role in Opening Day. Unlike other products containing photo variations, the ones found in 2017 Opening Day do not have alternate codes on the back when compared to the plain base cards. This makes identifying them a little more difficult. One particular photo variation, Stadium Signatures, is easy to spot as the players are pictured signing autographs for fans. Those cards also have the letters “SS” before the card number as well. Technically these are inserts, but other than the card number there is nothing on the front that identifies it as a Stadium Signatures card.
Opening Day is known for having some crazy inserts. 2017 is no exception. Inserts include:
- Incredible Eats
- National Anthem
- Opening Day at the Ballpark
- Opening Day Stars
- Stadium Signatures
- Superstar Celebrations
- MLB Stickers Collection Stars
- MLB Wacky Packages
Some of these inserts are incredibly difficult to pull. My personal favorites are the Mascots and Incredible Eats. It looks like at one time there was a plan for a bobblehead-themed insert, but it seems to have been scrapped. I’d like to see Topps comeback to that idea.
Autographs and relics can be pulled, but nothing is guaranteed per box. I like the Stadium Signatures Autographs. These are limited to (10) copies. Its fun to try and see what the player pictured is signing, especially when it turns out to be an older Topps card.
Here is what I pulled:
- Billy The Marlin Mascot Auto
- Aledmys Diaz Blue Foil #39
- Julio Urias Blue Foil #186
- Matt Strahm RC Blue Foil #90
- Jay Bruce Blue Foil #70
- Kyle Seager Blue Foil #95
- Aaron Nola Blue Foil #32
- Nolan Arenado Opening Day Stars #36
- Addison Russell Superstar Celebrations #12
- Yunel Escobar Superstar Celebrations #25
- Giancarlo Stanton Superstar Celebrations #21
- Javier Baez Superstar Celebrations #3
- Jayson Werth Superstar Celebrations #6
- Francisco Lindor Superstar Celebrations #5
- Carlos Santana Superstar Celebrations #8
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Superstar Celebrations #24
- Carlos Correa Superstar Celebrations #20
- Troy Tulowitzki Superstar Celebrations #14
- David Ortiz Superstar Celebrations #15
- Miami Marlins Opening Day at the Ballpark #15
- Oakland A’s Opening Day at the Ballpark #12
- Atlanta Braves Opening Day at the Ballpark #8
- Baltimore Orioles Opening Day at the Ballpark #5
- Cleveland Indians Opening Day at the Ballpark #14
- Arizona Diamondbacks Opening Day at the Ballpark #10
- Kansas City Royals Opening Day at the Ballpark #3
- Cotton Candy Incredible Eats #11
- Peanuts Incredible Eats #2
- Classic Pastrami Incredible Eats #7
- Hot Dogs & Onions Incredible Eats #13
- Foot-Long Hot Dog Incredible Eats #8
- Cheesy Corn Brisket-Acho Incredible Eats #5
- South Philly Dog Incredible Eats #4
- Dinger Mascot #9
- Mr. Red Mascot #4
- White Sox Mascot #16
- TC Bear Mascot #6
- Brewers Mascot #25
- Phillie Phanatic Mascot #11
- Swinging Friar Mascot #13
- Oakland A’s Mascot #17
- Billy The Marlin Mascot #2
- Wally The Green Monster Mascot #24
- Orbit Mascot #22
This contest is for a Matt Chico 2008 Upper Deck SPx Young Star Signatures. Good luck!!!
- This contest will end Friday, March 31, 2017 @ 8:00 p.m. EST.
- To enter, please leave a comment in this post.
- You can enter once per day.
- The winner will be selected at random.
- Please provide a valid e-mail address when entering.
- The winner will receive an e-mail when the contest is over.
- The winner has one week to send me their contact information or the contest will be held again.
- Once the contest is over, I will need the winner’s mailing address so I can ship them this card for FREE!!!
Congrats to johnnehill on being the lucky winner of the Miguel Cabrera 2017 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection Jersey. Once johnnehill sends me their mailing address, I will ship this card ASAP. Thanks!