In honor of Leicester City overcoming the 5,000-to-1 preseason odds to clinch their first Premiere League title, lets dive into the latest soccer product from Topps. It may not be English soccer, but it still counts.
The base set contains (200) cards. Its packed with veterans and rookies. One of the newest inclusions is the first MLS card of Frank Lampard. His stuff is immensely popular. Lampard left Manchester City to come play for the New York City FC last year.
Like a lot of flagship products, you’ll find some short print photo variations. In all there are (10) of them. Topps didn’t put anything on these to indicate that they’re a photo variation. They look and feel like a regular base card. Printed on the back of every card is a small code. Sometimes Topps will change this code and it will differ for the photo variations. Not here. Photo variations and base cards have the same code. I did find one shortcut though which doesn’t involve you checking every single base card. I pulled (3) photo variations from my box. Each one was face down in the pack when I opened it. So, if your going through a pack and you find a card face down and it isn’t a “hit”, there is a good chance its a photo variation.
Gypsy Queen isn’t the only product now with hand-drawn sketch cards featuring a multi-colored patch. This product has them too. I’ve only seen one popup, and it was a redemption. The artist(s) may not have returned them to Topps in time. It will be interesting to see what these actually look like. I enjoy anything hand-drawn that’s combined with an autograph or relic.
Between the box I opened and some of the other breaks I’ve seen, 2016 Topps Major League Soccer seems to be quite solid. Even if your not a huge soccer fan, but looking for a box to bust, you may want to give this product a chance. It can pack quite the punch for a flagship brand. Granted, not every box will yield the pull of a lifetime. But I think it has a great shot at being decent.
You’re promised (2) autographs and (1) jumbo relic per box. I only pulled (1) autograph. But the printing plate and Kaká red parallels made up for it.
Here is what I pulled:
- Dominic Oduro Auto #’ed/350
- Benny Feilhaber Jumbo Match-Used Memorabilia #’ed/55
Short Print Photo Variations
- Andrea Pirlo #61
- Kei Kamara #156
- David Villa #100
- Cristian Techera Magenta Printing Plate #’ed 1/1
- Kaká Presence of the Pitch Red #’ed/5
- Ryan Hollingshead Orange #’ed/25
- Darren Mattocks Blue #’ed/99
- Sean Franklin Blue #’ed/99
- Cyle Larin Blue #’ed/99
- Teal Bunbury Blue #’ed/99
- Steve Gerrard/Chris Wondolowski Rooted Rivalries
- Diego Fagundez/David Villa Rooted Rivalries
- Clint Dempsey/Pedro Morales/Diego Valeri Rooted Rivalries
- Dax McCarty Presence of the Pitch
- Didier Drogba Presence of the Pitch
- Andrea Pirlo Presence of the Pitch
- Sean Johnson Presence of the Pitch
- Benny Feilhaber All-Star
- Fabian Castillo All-Star
- DaMarcus Beasley All-Star
- Waylon Francis All-Star
- Ethan Finlay All-Star
- Matt Besler All-Star
This contest is for a Matt Harvey 2016 Topps Gypsy Queen Jersey. Good luck!!!
- This contest will end Friday, May 6, 2016 @ 8:00 p.m. EST.
- To enter, please leave a comment in this post.
- You can enter once per day.
- The winner will be selected at random.
- Please provide a valid e-mail address when entering.
- The winner will receive an e-mail when the contest is over.
- The winner has one week to send me their contact information or the contest will be held again.
- Once the contest is over, I will need the winner’s mailing address so I can ship them this card for FREE!!!